Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Playing Catch Up

Okay, I admit it, I haven't really been around much lately. I could give you a million excuses for my laziness (moving back to school, starting classes, watching a lot of Heroes,) but in truth, there ain't no point to that now. Instead, I'll make my amends by covering and posting a bunch of new music that I've enjoyed over my absense.


FIrst off is a damn fine album that officially released in stores today. Bracken's "We Know About The Need" is the first solo album from Chris Adams, chief songwriter of Brit blip-pop masters Hood. The album, which was put out by Anticon records, does not necessarily stand apart from Adams and Hood's previous output, but is simply another reminders of just how underrated this band is. Listen to this one with headphones on:

Bracken - Safe Safe Safe


Next is one that I just heard for the first time today, and certainly something that I was strongly anticipating, Bright Eyes new EP "Four Winds." This 6-track foray into Conor Oberst's newly adopted Dylan-lite persona releases in March, in anticipation of the April full length "Cassadega." The obvious standout is the title track, which is the only one that will appear on thenew album. However, there are also several other highlights, including the joyous melancholy of "Reinvent The Wheel" and the dark cynicism of "Cartoon Blues." Oberst's B-Sides have always been remarkably consistent, and this new EP is no exception.

Bright Eyes - Four Winds

Bright Eyes - Reinvent The Wheel (Is this song about Elliott Smith?)


Another new album that's been getting a lot of play as of late is Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah's new one, "Some Loud Thunder," which seems to have slipped under the indie hype radar, due perhaps to the internet wide Arcade Fire anticipation. The album, which I had previously written off due to a few weak singles released through Myspace, is actually surprisingly consistent, fun and relistenable. The first three tracks are pop heaven, as they expand upon the melodic cool of the band's brilliant debut. "Emily Jean Stock" in particular glimmers with mock-1960s classic rock perfection. Other highlights to the admitedly inconsistent album are the ridiculous live favorite "Satan Said Dance" and the enchanting "Goodbye To The Mother And The Cove." This one's a grower folks, so be sure to donate it more than a couple listens!

Clap Your Hands And Say Yeah - Emily Jean Stock

Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah - Mama, Won't You Keep Those Castles In The Air And Burning


Moving away now from well known indie rock staples, another new album that I find myself continuously returning to is Charlotte Hatherley's new solo record "The Deep Blue." Hatherley, the former bassist of power-pop gods Ash, has left the band to fully pursue a solo career, and judging by the strength of both this and her first record "Grey Will Fade," this was a wise choice. Now, while this new album at first struck me as an unfortunate departure from the insta-pop of her awesome debut, upon relistens, I've come around to it big time. The production here is more detailed and engaging, and multiple listens reveals a more mature songwriting sensibility. The album is full of highlights, but the early standout for me is "Siberia," which I dare you to listen to twice in a row and not have in your head!

Charlotte Hatherley - Siberia (HIGHLY RECCOMENDED)

Charlotte Hatherley - Very Young


Finally, one fantastic new album that I've had the privelege to fall in love with over the last few weeks is the sublime new album from longtime favorite The One AM Radio, "This Too Will Pass." Written and recorded over the last two years, the album, which is a bit more understated than his previous masterpiece "A Name Writ On The Water," is a calm, reflective and deeply personal work. It's perfect for falling asleep or waking up to. This is an artist who deserves a lot more credit than he has, and, if you're in or around Boston on February 21st, you'd be wise to check out the band's record release show at Coolidge Theater. It promises to be amazing.

The One AM Radio - In The Time We've Got

The One AM Radio - The Echoing Airports

Well, that's about all I've got for y'all today, but I'll be back soon. Promise!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jack Gladney said...

I really like those new Bright Eyes tracks. Finally I don't feel like drowning myself in Tequila after listening to them.

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home