Wednesday, January 10, 2007

It's A Weezer Wednesday!


Hey all! Hope everyone's enjoying this chilly Wednesday evening. The January weather's been so inexplicably amazing that whenever the temperature falls below 40 it somehow feels like a punishable offense. But, even if it's a bit more bitter than usual, doesn't mean we can't warm ourselves up with some power-pop.

And so I thought that today would be a good day to begin to share my massive bounty of rare Weezer songs. These hundreds of songs, which I obsessively collected from age 13 until around 18, are testimony to my perhaps unhealthy adolescent obsession with geek rock pioneer Rivers Cuomo ,and every 3 minute pop gem he effortlessly penned between 1993 and, hmmm, let's say... 2000.

This isn't going to be by any means a weekly feature, but, whenever I feel that deeply buried urge for Weezer, I'll throw up a few more.

So, to start things off today is "Lover In The Snow," a 1998 demo that Cuomo wrote and performed himself, for inclusion on the scrapped "Homie" album (Homie being one of River's many unrealized side projects.) The song is a favorite of mine, and contains some pretty great handclaps.

Weezer - Lover In The Snow

Next up is Walt Disney, a breezy and perfect home demo Rivers recorded circa 1995. This one's got some clever lyrics ("Just like Walt Disney, I'm a block of ice.")

Weezer - Walt Disney

Next up is Undone (The Sweater Song.) Now now, hold on, before you yell "Hey bitch! I saw that song on Video Friday, that ain't no mothafuckin rarity!" let me explain: This version is live and acoustic, and could perhaps be my all time favorite Weezer live performance. Weezer invites a "mad scientist friend" on stage to perform an original poem throughout the song's verses, and, the results are remarkably rocking.

Weezer - Undone The Sweater Song (live acoustic)

And finally, here's a quick pleasent B-Side from the Blue Album Era

Weezer - My Evaline

I'll assuredly be back at some point with more Weezery-goodness, including a few tracks from the mysterious "Songs From The Black Hole" sessions. Till then... enjoy, and be well!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home