Monday, December 25, 2006

My (The Ruler of the Blog) Top Ten Albums of 2006

I could not let those two (bloggers/losers) be the only ones to tell you what you should have been listening to all year. These albums were the most played and most enjoyed by yours truly. This year was a long and interesting one and these albums kept things moving along nicely. Also I am going to do you all a favor and keep my opinions on these albums to a sentence or two, no need to spend your entire day reading a post. Enjoy.


1. The Format- Dog Problems


The Format finds a way to top it's previous album (which is still one of my favorite) and construct something beautiful with catchy lyrics steeped in personal experience.

2. Regina Spektor- Begin to Hope

Regina is back again, she fills this CD with her unique voice delivering 12 tracks that melt my heart.

3. John Mayer- Continuum

I heard John Mayer say on TV that this was the perfect album, and it is, in a sense, it is in fact the perfect John Mayer album, where will he go from here?

4. Sufjan Stevens – The Avalanche

Call it B-Sides, call it whatever you want, I call it more of the Sufjan that I love, it has some of my favorite Sufjan songs on it. (Springfield anyone?)

5. Lupe Fiasco- Food & Liquor


I loved his voice when I first heard it, but I didn't know what he would do when he got the chance to create his own album; let me just say he created Rap at it's finest. (This was the best Rap album of the year, no offense to Ghostface)

6. Ben Kweller- Ben Kweller

I hate to admit it, but this album got me into Ben Kweller. I didn't give him much respect before this, but this album was very accessible and opened my eyes the the incredible talent of this man.

7. Neko Case- Fox Confessor Brings the Flood

Right now she is my favorite female singer-songwriter, a little bit of a country feel is okay by me when it comes to Neko.

8. Anathallo- Floating World


I happened to see them for the first time performing with The Format (aka Most amazing show ever) and they blew me away. I didn't think they could make an album that showcased the energy they have on stage, but somehow they were able to lay it all down.

9. Mates of State- Bring it Back

Mates of State, might be the cutest band ever. Cutest, because this husband and wife team just radiate a feeling of love for one another and their music when they perform. Don't worry though, this album is filled with awesome synth and drums and plenty of catchy lyrics to go with that cuteness.

10. The Decembrists- The Crain Wife

Oh Decembrists, why do you have to make me put you at the end of the list. I loved this album, I love Colin Meloy, but this album just didn't have the energy I felt on his past ventures, but hell its still on constant rotation with me.


Here are the other albums which almost made the list:

Sufjan Stevens- Songs for Christmas (This album is amazing, but Christmas music is it’s own thing.)

John Legend- Once Again

Belle and Sebastian- The Life Pursuit

Brand New- The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me

Emily Haines & The Soft Skeleton- Knives Don’t Have Your back



Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I've bought music from five of these albums...and had to buy all of Regina!

We must have similar sources. I'm partial to NPR's "All Songs Considered". If you enjoy live music, check out their "Live Concert Series". They've featured Colin Meloy, Regina Spektor, Neko Case and many others.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Preciousroy said...

Read my previous post about how much I love All songs considered, and yeah... they do have awesome live concert series.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Jack Gladney said...

I was at the front row of the Colin Meloy "All Songs Considered."

I'm so great.

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home