Friday, December 22, 2006

Michael Myers Resplendent



Well folks, tis the season to sleep until 2 in the afternoon and forget all of the useless crap I crammed into my brain for finals season. There are a lot of plusses to being home, but unfortunately, there's also a small downside. For some reason, Sendspace doesn't work on my laptop with my internet connection, so, unless I figure out a way around it (which I just might,) my favorite songs of the year post might have to wait till a little bit into the new year. But, it's definately coming.

Here's a pretty good consolation present though; some new Mountain Goats. "Get Lonely," John Darnielle's last record, was as gloomy an affair as I've ever heard. The songs ambled along slowly and passively, and all of the flare that used to characterize Darnielle's songwriting was inexplicably replaced with quiet defeat.

And so... where do you go from there? Well, if "Michael Myers Resplendent," a new home demo Darnielle has posted on his website as a Christmas Present is any indication, back to the well. There is hardly anything unique about this track, hardly anything that differentiates it from the hundreds of great songs Darnielle has written. But, it is yet another example of songwriting done right, an altogether solid affair that has me anticipating this year's new release even more.


The Mountain Goats - Michael Myers Resplendent

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home